Green Classrooms is a free program that gives elementary students and their teachers the opportunity to learn more about environmentally sustainable practices and how they can make simple, effective, and lasting changes in their own classrooms, schools, home and community. The program is based on the following principles:
- The best learning takes place when students are active in the process,
- Learning can be fun, and such enjoyment creates the best environment for understanding and retention,
- Helping students see the relationship of concepts to their own lives brings clarity and commitment to ideas and principles,
- Activities that simulate actual situations help students feel empowered to take action in their own lives,
- Waste prevention, water conservation, and energy efficiency are simple concepts that can be understood by any age group — if it’s presented in ways that are appropriate to their level and learning styles.
Classrooms can pick three different categories as a focus. Each path starts with a workshop on one of the topics listed below. The class then makes a pledge, or a promise decided upon as a class to change one or more behaviors to conserve resources. The culminating project is participating in an inspiring action.
Each lesson is grade-level appropriate, aligns with Next Generation Science Standards, engages the students in memorable ways, gets them out of the classroom (if you choose), and encourages initiative in their own learning.
Register today or contact us at email@example.com for more info.