Are you excited about protecting the health of the southern resident orcas in the Salish Sea? Do you want to meet others in the community interested in the same cause? Apply to be part of Youth for the Environment and People! at RE Sources for Sustainable Communities.
Check out what the YEP! students did in 2019: They designed and painted a mural along a busy walking path to remind the community about the threats affecting the health of endangered Southern Resident orcas.
YEP! is for supporting youth voices
- The purpose of this group is to create a space for youth voice. You will learn advocacy skills from experts in the community and will develop specific skills you are interested in growing.
- Meeting details: We will meet for 1 hour on Tuesdays from 3:45-4:45 at Options High School (2015 Franklin St, Bellingham, WA 98225) from February 5th until March 26th. Over the course of 2 months you will work together as a group on a culminating change-making action project to help protect and restore endangered southern resident orcas of the Salish Sea. And of course, there will be snacks.
- YEP! is student-led, with the guidance of a Sustainable Schools Education Specialist.
Workshops and skills we’ll work on
- Meeting and collaborating with students from other schools,
- Learning from Orca and water quality specialists,
- Hearing from advocacy experts from the community,
- Opportunity to workshop your ideas with other youth,
- Service learning opportunities,
- Creating and implementing a student-led action project around protecting orcas.
Requirements for participation
- You must be in high school (9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade) to apply.
- You must live in Whatcom County.
- Committing to attending all meetings
For more information:
We’re not currently offering this program but hope to in the near future, please reach out if you’re interested!
Questions? Please contact:
(360) 733-8307 ext. 226
YEP! is funded by the Whatcom Community Foundation.