Calling all high school students interested in collaborating with other youth on a climate action project!
Jump to details on applying for spring 2023 (Whatcom County)
Youth for the Environment and People (YEP!) provides an opportunity for students in Whatcom and Skagit Counties to share ideas and passions, learn about climate change solutions, engage in local stewardship projects, and work together with other youth in choosing, planning and implementing a group action project. And, of course, have fun!
YEP! participants will:
- Meet and work with other youth in the region to create and implement a student-led action project
- Discover, empower, and refine individual skills and talents
- Practice stepping into leadership roles
- Connect with local organizations working to solve local climate change in our region
- Learn about local and global climate change solutions
- Complete two local service projects on a couple of Saturday sessions
YEP! helped me learn about climate change, it helped me learn about people, and it helped me learn about myself.” – Diego, 2021 YEP! Participant
In Spring 2023, we are offering a Whatcom County-only cohort of YEP! Through the topic of fast fashion, students will explore how consumerism contributes to the climate crisis and focus on solutions that help both communities and the planet. The cohort will then choose and complete a project connecting climate solutions and fast fashion to address the issue. Facilitators guide, support, and educate while students lead and work collaboratively on the project.
More details about the program
- Applicants must attend high school in Whatcom County
- This program will run for 10 weeks from February 22nd until May 3rd (no meeting April 5th for Spring Break)
- We provide a $150 stipend upon completion of the group project to compensate students for their time and efforts
Questions? Please contact:
Details, how to apply and benefits for 2023
Application due: 10:00pm Tuesday, February 7th.
When will I know if I’ve been accepted? Sometime between February 8th and 10th. You must confirm you want to accept the offer by February 14th. This correspondence will happen via email. If you haven’t heard from us by February 10th, please reach out to Cambry at CambryB@re-sources.org.
Who can participate? Applicants must attend high school in Whatcom County. There are 15 spots available in the cohort.
When is it? Starting February 22nd, YEP! runs for 10 weeks including two optional Saturday hands-on stewardship days, dates TBD, ending the week of May 3rd (no meeting the week of April 3rd for Spring break).
Where and when are the meetings? Whatcom cohort will meet Wednesdays from 4:00–6:00pm at the RE Sources offices (2309 Meridian St, Bellingham, upstairs from The RE Store)
Who are the facilitators? YEP! is facilitated by Cambry Baker, Education Specialist at RE Sources.
What are the benefits? We provide a $150 stipend upon completion of the group project to compensate students for their time and efforts. Must attend 8 of the 10 sessions and participate in the group project to receive the stipend.