The Green Team Network is a free program that provides a framework and a collaborative network for school communities in Whatcom County to take steps towards making their school campus more sustainable, and educating leaders as to why it’s important.
What is a green team? A green team is an organized group of students who work together to make their school and/or local community more sustainable. They collaborate to find and implement solutions to issues around sustainability.
Why start a Green Team?
- Join the thousands of schools nationwide that are working together with their school communities to help lessen their impact on the environment
- Equip students and green team leaders with knowledge and expertise to assess and improve the environmental impacts of their school.
- Allow students to take action by applying lessons learned to authentic real-world situations.
- Incorporate sustainability into classroom learning.
- Be a part of the climate crisis solution!
- Help our Whatcom County schools become model environments of sustainability!
How does it work?
Schools build a green team – this could be an after-school club, a classroom or a grade band, or school-wide. RE Sources provides: Recruitment materials, training to advisor or teacher running team.
Green team assesses the school’s sustainability in one of the following areas: waste, water, energy, transportation, school grounds and gardens. RE Sources provides: Surveys and guidance through this process.
Note: If a class or grade band is a school’s green team RE Sources will provide connections and resources to curricula.
Green team picks a pathway and project. RE Sources provides: Guidance and tools to complete action and an equipment library for some projects.
Green teams educate their peers, their school and their community. RE Sources provides: tools to assist – media kit, all school assembly script, etc.
Green teams reflect on impacts made and what were essential learnings. Green teams provide RE Sources with an account of the project or a “report card”.
Green teams get certified! RE Sources provides a framework of rewards with levels of participation.
Watch our video to learn more!
And it’s free!
Thanks to generous donors as well as government agencies working to protect our natural resources: