The Green Team Network is a free program that provides a framework and a collaborative network for school communities in Whatcom County to take steps towards making their school campus more sustainable, and educating leaders as to why it’s important.
What is a green team? A green team is an organized group of students who work together to make their school and/or local community more sustainable. They collaborate to find and implement solutions to issues around sustainability.
Why start a Green Team?
- Join the thousands of schools nationwide that are working together with their school communities to help lessen their impact on the environment
- Equip students and green team leaders with knowledge and expertise to assess and improve the environmental impacts of their school.
- Allow students to take action by applying lessons learned to authentic real-world situations.
- Incorporate sustainability into classroom learning.
- Be a part of the climate crisis solution!
- Help our Whatcom County schools become model environments of sustainability!
How does it work?
Schools build a green team – this could be an after-school club, a classroom or a grade band, or school-wide. RE Sources provides: Recruitment materials, training to advisor or teacher running team.
Green team assesses the school’s sustainability in one of the following areas: waste, water, energy, transportation, school grounds and gardens. RE Sources provides: Surveys and guidance through this process.
Note: If a class or grade band is a school’s green team RE Sources will provide connections and resources to curricula.
Green team picks a pathway and project. RE Sources provides: Guidance and tools to complete action and an equipment library for some projects.
Green teams educate their peers, their school and their community. RE Sources provides: tools to assist – media kit, all school assembly script, etc.
Green teams reflect on impacts made and what were essential learnings. Green teams provide RE Sources with an account of the project or a “report card”.
Green teams get certified! RE Sources provides a framework of rewards with levels of participation.
And it’s free!
Thanks to generous donors as well as government agencies working to protect our natural resources: