Sign up for our newsletter and always hear about our events first!
- This event has passed.
Teacher Professional Development: Coho Conundrum Part 3 of 3
October 20, 2021 @ 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Calling all middle and upper elementary schools educators in Whatcom: Sign up for Coho Conundrum, a free, in-person three-part professional development series designed to help educators looking to bring real-world issues into their classrooms.
This series will focus on a local anchoring question: Why are Coho Salmon dying? Educators (playing the part of a student), will walk through multiple sequential transferable lessons with content relating to salmon lifecycle, water quality, and human impacts on the environment. Lessons incorporate hands-on experiments, data analysis, modeling, mapping and tips to implement both virtually and in-person. Educators will spend time in multiple learning environments. This series is designed to support 3-D NGSS performance expectations for the middle school grade band, though the material can be altered to reach upper elementary as well. Much of the course will be offered in an outdoor setting.
- Earn 8 STEM clock hours
- Learn from a scientist, teacher and local resource, Kirsten McDade
- Learn to bring a real-world local phenomena into their classrooms
- Gain expertise in understanding the different types of contaminants in water and how this affects not only salmon but orcas and eventually human health.
- Be exposed to different hands-on tools and experiments that can be transferred to classroom use.
- Learn how to engage their students to take what they are learning and put it into action.
- Collaborate with colleagues
Locations: TBD; Sign up to make sure you hear first!
Dates: October 6th, 13th, and 20th from 4:30-6:30 p.m. The lessons in this course are sequential and build off knowledge learned in previous lessons. Attendance for all three days is requested. If your schedule doesn’t permit, we hope to offer this course again.
As always, our programs are free. For more information, contact Kirsten at firstname.lastname@example.org
This training will most likely be in-person. We are requiring proof of vaccination for COVID-19 and reserve the right to reschedule in an alternative format if circumstances require. If your circumstances disallow you to be vaccinated, please reach out to Kirsten at email@example.com.