RE Sources is excited to bring the first Youth Climate Summit to Whatcom County. This August, we’re partnering with local high school youth activists in our YEP! program and WWU Climate Leadership students to plan a two-day climate solutions event for youth, by youth.
We’re also seeking Youth Advisory Council (YAC) members! The YAC is a group of young people who provide support to the Youth Climate Summit — and a great opportunity to gain leadership experience.
The Youth Climate Summit will give students leadership skills in participating in the climate movement and connect you with what’s going on in the community. You’ll have a chance to network with professionals and other students who share similar concern and passion for change. Students will leave with tangible ways to plug into the movement and take climate action.
|Day of Service:||Friday, August 4th, 10:00am to 3:00pm at Larrabee State Park|
|Climate Summit:||Saturday, August 5th, 9:45am to 4:00pm at Western Washington University Environmental Studies Building|
|More info||Theme: Local Climate Solutions. See an agenda here. Registration deadline: July 15th|
At the Youth Climate Summit, you will:
- Connect with peers to cultivate a sense of belonging and hope
- Build skills that help you advocate for the things you care most about, especially climate change and social justice
- Deepen understanding of issues that affect your future
- Explore solutions with support from other youth activists and local leaders active in our community
- Discover tools, resources, and local organizations to help you affect positive change
- Build action plans that help bring to fruition their hopes for a climate-resilient and more equitable future
- Continue your activism journey by forming or joining clubs at their schools
Day of service at Larrabee State Park
Join us outside for a day of hands-on service and fun. You can expect to get your hands dirty either removing Invasive English Ivy from trees or clearing the beach of litter. There will be time for lunch and socializing. After taking action, we’ll enjoy some time exploring the park, swimming, and connecting with the group! We will provide all tools necessary and light snacks.
What to help plan the Summit? Join our Youth Advisory Council!
We’re seeking members to join our Youth Advisory Council. The YAC is a group of young people who provide support to the Youth Climate Summit — and a great opportunity to gain leadership experience. Apply to be on the YAC today. Application closes May 21st.
Have an idea for a Youth Climate Summit workshop? Let us know by June 18th.
- 40 minutes long
- Can accommodate 5-15 students
Workshops will be selected by a Youth Advisory Committee. They will prioritize choosing workshops that are:
- Hands on and interactive (rather than lecture-based)
- Given by someone comfortable/experienced working with youth
- Given by youth (under 25) or BIPOC individuals
- About a local climate solution
- Connected to social and climate justice
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.